Friday, September 27, 2013

Brilliant Achievements Take Planning



"If there is no dull and determined effort, there will be no brilliant achievement."
Hsun-Tzu

When I read these words the other day, I felt my blood chill. Honestly! I used to think that line "their blood ran cold" was a load of crap. I found out otherwise.
Anyway, I spent the rest of the day thinking about that quote. I think it can apply to a lot in life, and I think every procrastinator like me can take it to heart. It can apply to writing, to becoming more self-sufficient, to crafts like knitting or clay-work, homework or...anything really.

I've been reading "The Shy Writer Re-Born" by C. Hope Clark, and I've found her inspiring as well. She gives solid advice, and because she is an introvert like me, I tend to pay more attention when she assures me that I really can lay down a plan for success in my writing. If she can do it, so can I.

If I can do it, brave ahead despite my self doubt and negative crap, you can do it too. Doesn't matter what it is, if it's something you believe in, you can do it.
I'm talking reasonable dreams here.
Ask yourself these things:


  • What do I want to be doing six months from now? A year? Two years?
  • What needs to happen to achieve my six month goal?
  • Do I need someone else's help? How do I get that? Where do I have to go?
  • What can I do today or tomorrow to be one step closer to that goal?
I remember years ago, someone I trusted asked me what I wanted to be doing in five years time. I answered her with "I want to be a writer."  She asked me, "What do you need to have that happen?"
Well, I don't remember my answer all these years later, but whatever plan I came up with didn't stick. At the time, I was distracted by a custody case, family court and an ever-tumultuous life. I wish now I could have stuck with it, but I wasn't ready. So I came to my goal late, but I did eventually acquire my goal. I got a book published, my life settled down, I got a couple of articles published, I won custody of my boys, I wrote stories about a young dragon that I loved, and so did my boys.
My point here is that whatever it is, you can do it.

If J.K Rowling can write about a world of wizards, Hippogriffs, magical plants and evil magic while on a fixed income with a baby ... you can figure out what you want from life and work out a plan to get it!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Food for thought, nom nom.

Dragonquillca said...

Thanks for reading, Karen! Food for thought, indeed! Now I have the munchies!