Monday, August 06, 2012

Lettuce-nappers!

Well talk about frustration! I had started a handful of lettuce seeds last week, they sprouted fine and so they went in the cold frame where I harvested the beets. I had been checking on them every day. Yesterday there were four sprouts left and this morning there is only one. One! I have no clear suspect, but I know it's none of the rabbits, they can't get into it. Our first suspect of the day is the resident chipmunk. The cold frame is built with 2X4's, so we're wondering if he's been climbing down those and into the frame. All of my onions seedlings are gone too. Do chipmunks eat lettuce and onions?
Clearly, I'll need to start again and start making wire sides for the garden beds that are already here.
Little punks... First squirrels now chipmunks!
Good thing he's cute...

1 comment:

The Cranky said...

Hey Tankeboo, here's that url you requested:

http://www.mennonitegirlscancook.ca/

They have a lot of GREAT recipes! Email me at either email addy (I check the yahoo one most often) because we have a LOT to talk about.

Love and hugs all around!